What to Bring
Clothing & Equipment
- Flashlight with spare batteries and bulbs. A head torch is a good idea as it keeps your hands free.
- Hat or cap. A wide-brimmed hat is best to shade your face and neck.
- Scarf and gloves during winter as we can experience very low temperatures.
- Warm fleece and windbreaker jacket. Windproof during the winter months (May - Sept), waterproof during the summer months (Nov - Mar).
- Swimming costume. You may like a swim when visiting a lodge or either pre or post safari.
- Natural colour clothing (i.e. no white or bright colour clothing). Bring T-shirts, shorts, a pair of lightweight long trousers and a lightweight long sleeve shirt (long sleeves are extremely useful for sun protection during the day and mosquito protection during the evening).
- Comfortable walking shoes and sandals.
- Camera equipment, binoculars and batteries. Bring spare memory cards for digital cameras as the opportunity to download photos is limited.
- Adaptors for cables, chargers, USB, etc. Please label them so as to avoid confusion on safari.
- Small, spare power bank so you can recharge your camera batteries.
- Water bottle.
- A soft bag or rucksack as they are easier to pack.
- One item of hand luggage (e.g. a small backpack) which can be kept at your feet for easy access during activities.
Please do not exceed 20 kg of luggage.
Personal Toiletry items & Medication
- Personal toiletries and medication in a small bag.
- Malaria prophylactics. Please consult your doctor before your safari.
- Mosquito repellent.
- Water proof/zip lock bags for storing personal items to keep dry and dust free.
- Personal first aid kit.
A first aid kit will be available throughout the safari but you should bring sufficient personal medicine for the duration of the safari.
All travellers require:
- Valid passport. Your passport must be valid at least 6 months after the end date of your trip and there must be at least 6 blank visa pages.
- Valid visa.
- Travel insurance.
It is your responsibility to arrange visas.
Many nationalities can obtain a tourist visa for Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe at border posts. Citizens of some countries must obtain a visa before travelling. Please note that certain visas can take up to 3 months to be processed so please consider this when booking.
If you need to get a visa for one of the countries visited during your safari, please check when and where the visa can be obtained, and which currency is required for its payment.
For up-to-date visa requirements please check with your travel consultant and/or embassy.
Minors Travelling to/from Botswana
Minors traveling into and out of Botswana will be required to produce a certified copy of an unabridged birth certificate in addition to a valid passport.
In the event that one parent is not traveling with the child, an affidavit consenting to such travel from the other parent must be provided. An affidavit will not be required if the father’s name does not appear on the child’s birth certificate.
For all tours, it is compulsory to take out travel insurance covering: cancellation and curtailment, medical situations, baggage and emergency evacuation.
You will be required to provide your insurance details prior to your arrival so we can quickly and easily liaise with your insurance company in case of an emergency.
Required details include:
- Medical evacuation insurer's name.
- Medical evacuation policy number.
- 24-hour contact number of medical evacuation insurer.
Okavango Air Rescue, who provide medical evacuation from isolated areas of the bush by a medically equipped helicopter and emergency doctor, are available in an emergency.
This does not act as a substitute to international medical insurance and evacuation (which remains compulsory with or without Okavango Air Rescue.)
International insurance companies are not always familiar with the practicalities of dealing with emergencies in the Botswana bush, which can add to delays in obtaining medical care.
Botswana is considered a malaria area and preventative medications should be taken.
Check with your local immunisation authority, travel clinic, public health facility or personal physician before departure. Visit the World Health Organisation website for up to date information.
Included With Your Safari
- Spacious tents (3m x 3m) with stretchers and bedrolls included and en suite private bush ablutions.
- Open dining room tents for a natural outdoor feeling, whilst still protecting you from the elements.
- Open sided 4x4 safari vehicle.
- Professional guide and camp assistants.
- National park and camping fees.
- The safaris are on a dinner, bed & breakfast and lunch basis to suite the duration of the safari. Should you be accommodated at Island Safari Lodge for a pre-night, breakfast will be included.
- All drinks included (soft, local alcoholic drinks, still water).
Sharing Your Safaris With Others
On a set departure safari you may be sharing the safari experience with people from a variety of countries and who may have different interest to yours.
Guiding will be conducted in an unbiased manner, including both game viewing and birding. As the nature can sometimes be harsh out in the bush, the guide will assess the emotional responses of the group and act accordingly. The guide will rotate seating arrangement so that all travelers can experience the best vantage points.
Should there be a translator, the translator is only there for the purpose of translating.
All rates are based on sharing. Should there be two single same gender participants they will be placed together unless single accommodation is requested. Single accommodation requested incurs a 75% surcharge.
No children under the age of 16 years may join the safari.
Child, Booking & Cancellation Policy
Child Policy - Island Mobile Safaris
Children under 12 years discounts:
- Activities from Island Safari Lodge: 15% discount.
- Moremi day trips: 20% discount.
- Chief's Island day trip: 20% discount.
- Mobile safaris: 20% discount.
- Mokoro day trips: No discount.
Children under 12 years are discouraged.
Child Policy - Island Safari Lodge
- Children are welcome at Island Safari Lodge.
- Family rooms accommodate 2 adults and 2 children only.
- Chalets accommodate 2 adults and 1 child on a mattress. P200 B&B.
Child Policy - Island Safari Lodge Campsite
- Under 5: Free.
- 6 years-12 years: Half price.
- 13 years and older: Full price
- 50% discount to confirm booking within 14 days of enquiry.
- Full payment required a month before arrival.
- Full payment required within the month of arrival.
- Kindly use your invoice number as the reference for payment.
- Deposits are non-refundable.
- Cancellation in 30 days or less will result in a 100% cancellation fee.
- Cancellations must be in writing.
- Bookings will be released within 14 days, should the deposit not be received.
- Paid bookings will have preference over provisional bookings.